Saturday, June 08, 2002

Some music I'm listening to these days is well worth your time.
Various bands headed by Stephin Merrit, including his main
band The Magnetic Fields and side projects Gothic
Archies
, Future Bible Heroes and The 6ths. Merrit
specializes in melancholic synth pop with brilliant lyrics,
and his Gothic Archies are doing a song on the Coraline
audio book. The Magnetic Fields' last album, 69 Love
Songs
is particularly brilliant.

Another band I listen to a lot is Ookla the Mok, a filk band
that sounds like a rock band. Their third album, Super Secret
Clubhouse, is a wonderful muse about geekdom and fandom
and comics, and my favorite Ookla song, My Secret Origin should
appeal tremendously to anyone who's childhood dreams were
shaped by sf, fantasy, and comics.

Other than those, I listen a LOT to the songs from the Buffy musical,
Once More With Feeling.

No comments: