Thursday, July 15, 2004

New Israeli publisher announced!

Rani Graf is one of my best friends. A true prince, and a man of excellent taste (as demonstrated by the fact that he almost invariably likes the books I select for publication.)

And now his excellent taste will have a true outlet and test, as he just announced (link in Hebrew) Graf Publishing, a small press publishing house that will publish both sf&f and mainstream titles.

I'm doubly, nay, trebly, biased in favor of this endeavor. Rani is a friend, he has hired me to translate books for his new company (I've already done one, and I'm nearing completion on a second), and he's using some of my best friends and and favorite co-workers as the translators and translation editor for the new publishing house. But I'd certainly be excited to hear about any new publisher with this lineup of planned books.

His announced lineup is very exciting:
The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson. (my review, in Hebrew, is available here.
Transformation by Carol Berg
The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon
The Year of Our War by Steph Swainston
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. (my review, in Hebrew, is available here.
Nylon Angel by Marianne De Pierres
The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem
The Translator by John Crowley
253 by Geoff Ryman

Most of these books are genre books, and Fortress of Solitude, 253, and The Translator are non-genre books by genre authors. It's an interesting and ecclectic mix, and the only common denominator here is intelligence, and that's a common denominator I can get behind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was told a while ago that the Hebrew rights for the Year of our War were sold - I can only say congratulations to Rani on snapping it up!

It looks like a strong literary list - I hope that translates commercially as well.

Congratulations and good luck!

Lavie.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Didi for the very heartwarming words :-) And thanks to Lavie as well, was great hearing from you again.

Rani