Sunday, September 05, 2004

Hugo winners

Hugo winners were just announced at the Noreascon 4 live blog, and all you early birds (who care about the award) can benefit from the fact that I'm having trouble falling asleep...

The nominees were.

And the winners are:
Best Novel:
Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold
Well, I haven't read Illium, but I can already predict protestations that Simmons was robbed. Personally, I loved Paladin of Souls. Plus, I'm publishing Bujold, so I'm happy.

Best Novella:
"The Cookie Monster" by Vernor Vinge
Of course, they voted fot the one I haven't read yet. Oh well. I really liked Baker's "The Empress of Mars" and Williams' "The Green Leopard Plague", but oh well.

Best Novelette:
"Legions in Time" by Michael Swanwick
Brilliant story, which beat out brilliant stories by James Patrick Kelly and Jeffry Ford. This was a tremendous category this year.

Best Short Story:
"A Study in Emerald" by Neil Gaiman
Yes, it probably won because it's The Neil. But I really liked it, and I wasn't in love with any of its competitors, so I have no complaints.

Best Professional Editor:
Gardner Dozois
Least surprising win EVER, as Dozois recently retired. Well, I hope he has room for one more Best Editor Hugo to go along with the 20 thousand he's already won. Had Dozois not retired, I think Gordon Van Gelder would have won.

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form:
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Ok, that was actually even less surprising than Dozois' win.

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form:
Gollum's Acceptance Speech at the 2003 MTV Movie Awards
WTF? The hell? Buffy's finale, Chosen, should have won this. Or one of the Firefly eps. This was a funny thing to nominate, but the joke isn't funny anymore.

Best Semi-Prozine:
Locus
Same as, well, every other year.

Best Fanzine:
Emerald City, Cheryl Morgan, ed.
Yay! I love Emerald City. Way to go, Cheryl!

Best Fan Writer:
David Langford
As usual...

You can see the rest of the winners here. And check out the live blog, as it will probably have pictures and a more detailed report. And I'll add more links when I wake up.

1 comment:

Dotan Dimet said...

Cory Doctrow's photos of the ceremony are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/worldcon/
The ceremony was very nice, but twice the guy with the finger of the Powerpoint shot the gun (spoilering the wins of Emerald City and Michael Swanwick while the presenter was still struggling with the envelope).
Bujold was visibly moved, short of breath, near tears. I don't think I quite understand why Hugo voters love her books that much, but I haven't read Paladin of Souls.
At the con they put out a "daily" newsletter (new editions seem to come out every couple of hours) and the one waiting outside when we got out of the Hugo ceremony had the award rankings listed from first through fifth place. So you see that the #2 novel was indeed Ilium (Charlie Stross coming in third), the #2 novella was Kage Baker's, the #2 novellete was Ford's (Stross again in third place, showing that his popularity is currently limited to a hardcore audience), Burstein came in #2 in the Short Story category (Resnick at #3, the two F&SF pieces 4th and 5th). Gordon Van Gelder is ranked fifth among the editors (Datlow is 2nd, Hartwell third), and "The Message" (Firefly) is at the 2nd place (Buffy at #3) in the Gollum category. Pirates is the #2 film, and X2 is 3.
The presenter of the best editor award, a book editor, made a good point that it's unfair how only magazine editors will ever be eligable for an editor Hugo. Add that to the way the only nominated books are hardcovers, and the magazine bias of the Hugos sticks out like a sore thumb. Or rocket.
Sleepnow.