Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Well, I guess it isn't a bad score for a non-native English speaker

Commonly Confused Words Test

Advanced
You scored 93% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert!
You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

The exact same score as Julia. Much like in Julia's case, test stats indicate that 100 percent of people my age scored lower in all categories. Not happy about the 66% in the expert level. Oh, well. I've been meaning to buy and read The Elements of Style (which is, rather impressively, ranked 123 at Amazon right now) for a while now.

6 comments:

Dotan Dimet said...

OK, you made me take it too:
English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 87% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 88% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
I should note that English is (literally) my mother tongue, that I used to write in it, and that I'm old.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess I'm up there with y'all, for a dumb redneck that I am.

Advanced
You scored 93% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 72% Expert!

julia said...

Someone whose judgment on these things I trust suggested Fowler's Modern English Usage (if you can find the second edition) as a good sourcebook on style.

I like the Elements of Style, but it's more a book on how to write like EB White than it is a book on how to write.

Not that writing like EB White is an accomplishment to sneeze at, but not everyone wants to.

Didi said...

I got the Elements of Style rec from Ursula K. Le Guin's Steering the Craft. She also recommended The Well-Tempered Sentence as giving similar content in a less-boring manner.

As for Fowler's, I see several editions in Amazon - the third edition (for a bucket of money), the pocket version from Oxford, and several editions of the Dictionary of Modern English Usage, which I'm not sure is the same book. I'm confused.

Also, are you Julia of Sisyphus Shrugged? If so, you're one of my favorite bloggers!

Anonymous said...

Also showing off:

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 72% Expert!

Compared to users who took the test and are and in your age group:
100% had lower Beginner scores.
100% had lower Intermediate scores.
100% had lower Advanced scores.
100% had lower Expert scores.

I find that highly questionable, considering the evidence presented on this very page.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know my English is strange:
92% Beginner, 71% Intermediate, 87% Advanced, and 82% Expert

I guess I need to work on my "intermediate English" skills, to get them to the same level as my Advanced and Expert skills...
:-)