Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Two wonderful (and too short) seasons end

Season 27 of Dr. Who was my first season of the show. It won't be the last. The Doctor said it best in the brilliant finale "The Parting of the Ways" when he said:

"Rose, before I go, I just want to tell you, you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And do you know what? So was I"


Absolutely. I will sorely miss Eccleston. He was fantastic. A great actor doing a great character on a great show. Fortunately, we still have Billie Piper, wonderful, fantastic, amazing Billie Piper. I'm still schocked that a former teen idol singer can act this well. I shouldn't be. Lost has taught us that models can act. But still. Amazing performance.

I don't want to spoil the show, so I won't discuss the episodes in any depth. But it was a terrific season of science fiction. Clever and silly and dramatic all at the same time. It had genuine emotional depth, and how often do you see that, really?

Season 4 of JLA, which was also season 1 of JLU, was also very good. I wasn't crazy about the overall at parts, but in the end, it worked. The penultimate episode (and real finale, as far as the season's story is concerned), "Divided We Fall", was excellent, and reached a terrific climax. Finally, one of my favorite characters got some well deserved RESPECT. The last episode wasn't really a JLU episode. It was a Batman Beyond episode. Not that that's a bad thing, and it WAS a good episode. And hey, I like Batman, so what the hell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The JLU season just ended is the fourth on the absolute scale. They change the show every two years. It's a thing.

And as long as we're on the subject of TV (and we're so rarely on it, of course), did you watch House? It didn't get as much publicity as DH or Lost, but it's really quite excellent.

Anonymous said...

From what I understand Piper has also left (or is leaving) the show.

Didi said...

As far as I know, she isn't leaving. She was supposed to appear in only a few episodes, but the latest I've heard was that she will be appearing in every single episode.

That news is about two weeks old, so if you've heard anything else, do tell.